Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: call for HELP with MARKETING XTM

Dear TopicMaps.org members,

My thanks to Steve N. for passing on my request for Marketing
support.  I know that the focus for all of you is on the technical
development and you may not have the time or inclination to engage in
marketing activities.  Keep in mind that you are welcome to designate
others within your companies who are more marketing oriented....it
doesn't have to be you.  Although, I believe that there should be at
least one member of the Authoring Group acting as chair of the
Marketing Subcommittee to ensure that the marketing effort stays
within the oversight of the full Authoring Group.

Different topic:

A comment below from Steve disturbed me...that there is a perception
in some circles that IDEAlliance is not being even-handed in its
support of this project. I'm not only disturbed but somewhat puzzled
since this issue has not yet been brought to me.  I'd be grateful if
those who feel this way could contact me off-line to discuss
specifically the actions and issues that have led to this
perception.  IDEAlliance certainly has no commercial or proprietary
interests that we are pursuing as pertains to TopicMaps.org and I
will go to great lengths to avoid any such perception.

Regards,

Paul F. Conn
Vice President and CTO
IDEAlliance
pconn@idealliance.org
+1 (703) 519-8173
Mobile: +1 (703) 626-6842

--- In xtm-wg@egroups.com, "Steven R. Newcomb" <srn@c...> wrote:
> Paul Conn of IDEAlliance writes:
>
> > I would like to move forward quickly with the formation of
> > a TopicMaps.org marketing subcommittee.  There's obviously
> > a lot of interest and awareness of Topic Maps in certain
> > circles, but we can be much more efficient and effective
> > in broadening the awareness through a structured marketing
> > campaign.
> >
> > Specifically in the short term, we need to do the
> > following:
> >
> > 1.  Develop and distribute a sponsorship brochure.  Along
> >     with that we need to develop a targeted list of
> >     recipients who we believe should or may be interested in
> >     sponsorship.
> >
> > 2.  Develop a web site.  Every day that we delay this is a
> >     lost opportunity and damaging to the perception of
> >     TopicMaps.org.  We need a site that is current and
> >     compelling where we can refer inquirers.  The name of
> >     the organization itself is a web domain, and yet there's
> >     nothing on that domain.
> >
> > Our people have been toying around with some ideas for the
> > web site.  I'd like to get the marketing subcommittee
> > established so they can review the ideas and come up with an
> > approved design and content.
> >
> > I recommend we put a notice out to the participating members
> > for volunteers.  I think 3 or 4 people should suffice.  What
> > do you think?
>
> Here's what I think:
>
> (1) It's a good idea, and it must be done.
>
> (2) I can't do it.
>
> (3) Michel can't do it.
>
> (4) There has been some concern expressed, by two of the
>     hardest-working and most-technical people in XTM, that
>     IDEAlliance is not being even-handed in its treatment of
>     all of the competing interests that are represented in
>     XTM.  I, for one, see their point, and I see the same
>     evidence they see, but I interpret it differently.  I
>     personally recommend that we stick with IDEAlliance
>     until and unless they do some noticeable damage, or they
>     fail to do what they can to help us (and they are
>     definitely doing what they can -- see below).  I know
>     they're striving harder to avoid the slightest
>     appearance of favoritism, and my confidence in Paul Conn
>     and Dianne Kennedy is undiminished.  Under our Charter,
>     of course, I don't make decisions about the Host
>     Organization or about Marketing.  YOU, the XTM Authoring
>     Group, DO.
>
> (5) The Topicmaps.org domain name still belongs to Michel
>     personally.  Independence for XTM!
>
> (6) I personally happen to operate, by the grace of God and
>     Peter Newcomb, a pretty powerful Web server that isn't
>     doing much work and that is directly connected to a
>     not-noticeably-busy T-1 channel in Dallas, Texas.  We're
>     willing to host the topicmaps.org domain name, gratis
>     and uncredited, and to give appropriate system authority
>     to one or more appropriately skilled and reliable XTM
>     and/or IDEAlliance persons.  There's more than enough
>     disk, memory, processor power, and bandwidth for the
> [...]

Your family still won't know what you do.  At least they'll know where.
The resources, brainpower & breadth of opportunities at Microsoft are
unmatched. The only question is are you ready for that kind of impact?