Subject: [xtm-wg] XTM-CMS - NewsML spec approved - contains some constructs that ma y be of use to us

I've just posted a reply to a message from Kal on the subject "XTM-ISS
Mergemaps and relationship to XML Include".

NewsML includes the syntactic constructs of TopicSet, Topic, TopicSetRef,
FormalName, Scheme, Property, Value, ValueRef, TopicOccurrence, TopicUse
(among others), which are intended to map readily to constructs with similar
names in the Topic Maps specification. As part of the CMS's mandate to
compare the Topic Maps conceptual model with other relevant ones, I think it
could be very useful to identify how the conceptual constructs implied by
the NewsML requirements and DTD comments map to the constructs in the Topic
Maps conceptual model. This will certainly help in showing how a conceptual
model, a syntactic model, and some use cases (those of the News industry)
dffer from, but relate to, one another. It may also serve as a checking
process to see whether we have captured in the Topic Maps conceptual model
constructs that will serve to meet the specific use cases of the news
industry.

Particularly important, I think, are:

- to look at the merging rules as expressed in the NewsML DTD comments, and
see how they compare (or not) with the merging rules as expressed in ISO
13250, and those we want to include in XTM

- to look at how Property is constructed in NewsML, which might map to Topic
Maps facets, or Topic Associations, or ???

The NewsML DTD is available at
http://www.iptc.org/NewsML/DTD/NewsMLv1.0.dtd.

Daniel

Daniel Rivers-Moore
Director of New Technologies
RivCom
Tel: +44 (0) 1793 792004
Mobile: +44 (0) 7970 893847
Email: daniel.rivers-moore@rivcom.com

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!