Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] XTM-CMS: FW: Topic associations

I still have a major concern about XTM that I hope is being addressed in the
WG, which has to do with associations being first-class objects.

Consider this example:

  <assoc  scope="st-family" type="is-married-to">
   <assocrl anchrole="husband">John Fitzgerald Kennedy</assocrl>
   <assocrl anchrole="wife">Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy</assocrl>
  </assoc>

The association type, a topic, has the id is-married-to. As far as I can
see, "is-married-to" refers to a topic that is about the *class* (the
generalized type) of this association, which topic might be better named
"marriage". But what I need is two things I am not yet seeing in the
discussion, though there are hints they are being discussed elsewhere:

1. A definition of the association *class* (or template might be a better
word) such that it has the required anchor roles "husband" and "wife";
possibly each could allow multiple instances to account for polygamy and
polyandry.

2. A way of specifying the topic of the *instance* of an association of this
type; e.g., the marriage of Jack and Jackie above is a topic unto itself,
independent of either person (as the tabloids of the 60's so vividly, and
vapidly, demonstrated).

Both of these are very important to our pharmaceutical work, and would be in
the news arena if I am not mistaken (though I haven't played in that game
since 1999).

Is this sort of thing already covered and I am missing it? Has it been
discussed and ruled out? Is it under discussion?

Thanks in advance for answering the questions of one in the Peanut Gallery
over here. (Pluck your magic twanger, Froggy!)

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Call 1-800-555-TELL.