Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Syntax is a bitch :-(

Dave Pawson wrote:

> >Also, ID shouldn't be required because the are unnecessary. All topic
> >instances are inherently identified by their position in the document
> >that contains them--IDs are just a convenience.
>
> So how about removing the type ID / and the uniqueness requirement?
> Thanks Elliot.

By "shouldn't be required" I meant "shouldn't have a default value
prescription of #REQUIRED". The ID attribute is still *useful* for
convenient addressing and should be declared as type ID. But the
existence or non-existence of an ID value on a topic is *not* a
prerequisite for accurate (or even convenient) addressing, especially
when using XPath. For example, with XPath, it's almsot as easy to
address by unique topic name as it is to address by ID value.

Cheers,

E.

W. Eliot Kimber | Lead Brain

1016 La Posada Dr. | Suite 240 | Austin TX  78752
    T 512.656.4139 |  F 512.419.1860 | eliot@isogen.com

w w w . d a t a c h a n n e l . c o m

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!