Subject: [xtm-wg] XTM-CMS: Set theory stuff

Ann

In 3 you use the phrase "which are Subjects of the information in the Topic
Map".  I feel unhappy about it at two levels.  Firstly "information in the
Topic Map".  I do not believe that it is clear whether what is meant is the
information carried directly by the Topic Map or the information that is
addressed or referenced by the Topic Map or the combination of the two.
Secondly the phrasing means (to me at least) that it is not clear which of
the possible subjects are intended, are we talking about the subjects that
are the 'themes' of the Topic Map or all the topics over which it ranges?

In 4 we have "...Subjects, (these, at least, are called Topics)".  There is
obviously an implication in the phrasing that may be there are no Topics
that are not Subjects, but the existence of non-Subject Topics is not ruled
out.  However in 5 you talk only of topic associations being relations
amongst Subjects.

In 5a where you say "Each member of the set as in 5 is a set", is the second
set the set of subjects that are the targets of the relation (i.e. if it is
a binary topic association is the cardinality of the set 2)?

Chris Angus
Home: +44 (0) 16977 41504
SSI: +44 (0) 207 934 4960
Fax: +44 (0) 16977 41666