Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Swindon Minutes Module #1: Marketing

> [...]
>     nominate one member, with such nomination not subject to approval
>     of the AG as a whole.  The nominee may or may not be a PM.  No
>     organization shall be represented by more than one person in the
>     Marketing Subgroup who shall have a vote in the decisions of the
>     Marketing Subgroup.  (As in the case of the other subgroups, the
>     Marketing Subgroup may, at its own discretion, invite any others
>     to participate in all of its activities except when voting to
>     determine its own decisions.)  Except with respect to voting and
>     voting procedures as set forth in the Topicmaps.Org charter, the
>     Marketing Subgroup shall determine its own operating procedures.
>     The following examples of the Marketing Subgroup's authority over
>     its own procedures are not by any means exhaustive:
>
>     * The Marketing Subgroup will select its own officers, if it
>       decides to have any.
>
>     * The Marketing Subgroup may delegate its authority and
>       responsibility in any matter in which it has authority and
>       responsibility.
>
>     * The Marketing Subgroup will determine the relationship between
>       the AG and IDEAlliance.
>
>     The initial members of the Marketing Subgroup shall be (in
>     alphabetical order):
>
>       Pamela Gennusa, representing Ontopia (PMs: Pepper)
>       Dianne Kennedy, representing InfoLoom (PM: Biezunski)
>       Jason Markos, representing Empolis (PM: Moore)
>       Ramon Vincent, representing Mondeca (PM: Delahousse)
>
>     Additional members may be nominated at any time by PM-sponsoring
>     organizations not already represented.  Such nominees shall be
>     expected to assume the duties of membership immediately upon their
>     nomination.  The Marketing Subgroup is not required to seek
>     members for itself from as-yet-unrepresented PM-sponsoring
>     organizations, but it may do so at its discretion.  PMs are not
>     required to encourage their sponsoring organizations to nominate
>     persons to be members of the Marketing Subgroup, but they may do
>     so at their discretion.  (The Marketing Subgroup and such PMs may,
>     of course, communicate with each other about this and any other
>     matter, since it is clearly in the best interests of everyone to
>     have as many PM-sponsoring organizations represented in the
>     Marketing Subgroup as may be possible.)
>
>     For the sake of fairness and for the stability and longterm
>     existence of Topicmaps.Org, it is of the utmost importance that
>     all PM-sponsoring organizations share equally in any "first-mover
>     advantage" that falls out of any marketing activities that are
>     directly associated with the activities of the AG, and the
>     Marketing Subgroup is directed and required to consider carefully
>     how to meet this requirement.  One example of how this principle
>     should be applied specifically is that the Marketing Subgroup is
>     directed and required to provide promptly to the AG any contact
>     information gathered in the course of its activities, and to
>     gather such contact information at the events that it organizes,

<snip>

>     (2) The Marketing Subgroup is directed and required to consider
>         whether and how any market research activities may be
>         appropriate, and to undertake such research activities as it
>         deems appropriate and practical.  The results of all such
>         research shall be made available promptly to the AG for
>         distribution to the Participating Members, and ownership of
>         the results of such research shall reside solely with the AG.

I thought that we had gone further than that in the meeting. We certainly
discussed the requirement that all market research be performed by an
independant entity, and it was my impression that this was generally agreed
on.  I am concerned that this wording is still a little weak. However, as
long as the AG has control over the Marketing subgroup (as it does with all
of its subgroups), then I guess that this restriction can be excersised if
and when the Marketing subgroup determines that market research is
necessary.

<snip>
Cheers,

Kal
Kal Ahmed, Principal Consultant, Ontopia AS
e: kal@ontopia.net
p: +44 (0)7092 360 870
w: www.ontopia.net

Your family still won't know what you do.  At least they'll know where.
The resources, brainpower & breadth of opportunities at Microsoft are
unmatched. The only question is are you ready for that kind of impact?