Subject: [xtm-wg] Merging proposals uploaded

The file
http://www.egroups.com/files/xtm-wg/Interchange/merge-proposal%2Ehtml
contains three separate proposals (or at least they are separate in my mind
;-).

1) A proposal for the syntax of mergemaps. In fact, this is the proposal
that was voted on and passed, so this is really a closed issue.

2) A proposal for the processing model of merging - determining what topic
maps to merge and what requirements a conformant application must adhere to.

3) A proposal for handling xtmdoc. In my mind, if the AF purpose of xtmdoc
is not to be documented, then the other purpose that it has (i.e. packaging
multiple topicmaps) must be documented, including the expected processing
model. I think that there is also a need for ensuring that the packaging and
unpackaging can actually be done simply. If the other purpose of xtmdoc is
to be documented (and I for one am not sure that we have the time to do
this), then this proposal could be safely dropped. BTW, I feel that
packaging tms is a really weak argument considering that the merging and
scoping mechanisms can be trivially combined to do tm packaging, so this
proposal is somewhat of a compromise proposal.

Cheers,

Kal

Last minute trips at
first-rate discounts