Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Merging proposals uploaded

Kal,

Liked most of the proposal. One bit I'm not really sure about...

In the processing cross-references section, isn't

<!ELEMENT xtmdoc (redirect, topicmap)+>
        <!ELEMENT redirect EMPTY>
        <!ATTLIST redirect
               tmid     IDREF #REQUIRED
               tmbase   CDATA #REQUIRED
               idprefix CDATA #REQUIRED>
NOTE: the redirect is implicitly bundled with the topicmap that it applies
to.

inconsistent with the need to
"1.      Ensure that all object identifiers are unique across all topic maps
in the package."

I.e. if there is already an (unintentional) id attribute name clash across
the tmaps then the packaging prefix won't fix that(?).

"An alternative content model would be (redirect+, topicmap+) ..."
An improvement on the above perhaps in that the problem of clashed ids goes
away in principle providing the processing of 'redirect' is enforced.

Isn't this just about declaring namespace info for IDs in each map (again.
sigh)?
Rather than hard wire it into syntax (and I am presuming that you are doing
this because you want to XML parse the entire xtmdoc at once) couldn't we do
the following:

(rapid extemporising follows...might not be sound.)

XML parse each individual topic map.
Package them into one xtmdoc, and when we do so write an extra little topic
map in that provides the info in <redirect ...> in topics for each map?

This might allow us to kill the unintentional id name clash by doing look
ups on the context of each map before we package them into one xtmdoc.

(...maybe.)

Peter