Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Our ontology (was Merging proposals uploaded)

Jack Park wrote:

#Peter brought to mind an observation I had while in Swindon. It was this. In
#our dialog back and forth, we tend to be, IMmostHO, a spot sloppy in our
#choice of words.  I don't recall how many times I heard the words *context*
#or *domain* used when describing the concept *scope*.  Peter now introduces
#*modules* and *larger scheme of things* which, I believe, refers to notions
#we discussed related to having topic maps contain topic maps, ala:
#    <!element topicmap ( topic | topicmap )* > as suggested (if I rightly
#recall) by Murray at one point in the discussion.
#
#As potential editor of a potential book on Topic Maps, I wish to
#respectfully suggest that we begin at once the task of compiling a glossary
#of *standard* terms we will try to use regularly when describing what we are
#thinking.

These issues of terminology mentioned below are something which run across the
problem space of the industry at large.  We're working on the issues related to
ontology in this and related regards.  Ontologies, themselves, have their own
domain terminology, and a glossary of it is a helpful space to start when
talking about formulating an ontology.

http://www.bestweb.net/~sowa/ontology/gloss.htm

Was a helpful initial orientation on the issues.

johnrobert
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|
John Robert Gardner, Ph.D.
Enterprise Management Architecture Group
Sun Microsystems Inc.,
MailStop UBUR02-306
1 Network Drive
Burlington, MA  01803-0903		|  "Failure is not an option"

Ph. 781-442-0692			|  Eugene Crantz
Fax 781-442-1539			|  NASA
e-mail  john.robert.gardner@sun.com
http://vedavid.org/diss/
http://vedavid.org/xml/docs/

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"