Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Swindon Minutes Module #1: Marketing

[draft minutes]
> >     (2) The Marketing Subgroup is directed and required to consider
> >         whether and how any market research activities may be
> >         appropriate, and to undertake such research activities as it
> >         deems appropriate and practical.  The results of all such
> >         research shall be made available promptly to the AG for
> >         distribution to the Participating Members, and ownership of
> >         the results of such research shall reside solely with the AG.

[Kal Ahmed:]

> I thought that we had gone further than that in the meeting. We
> certainly discussed the requirement that all market research be
> performed by an independant entity, and it was my impression that
> this was generally agreed on.

Hmmm.  I take it that you're expressing a reservation, but not
actually proposing a revision to the minutes which would affect
the marching orders of the Marketing Subgroup.

I think we should not tell the Marketing Subgroup how to do its job,
especially considering that the Marketing Subgroup will be 100%
self-supporting.  I expect that it will support itself, at least at
first, by taxing the organizations of its own members.  For the AG to
impose such a constraint would be like telling someone how to spend
his own money.  In any case, I think it would be impossible to define
the intent of an "independent entity" requirement.  All manner of
pre-existing relationships are possible between persons and between
organizations.  In our small industrial community, most people in
leadership positions already know most of the other people in
leadership positions.  It would be self-defeating for the AG to insist
that only market research organizations who don't know anything about
our industry need apply for the job of doing market research for XTM.
I think we have to be satisfied that, if the Marketing Subgroup votes
to adopt a plan whereby market research is accomplished, each member
will, prior to voting, have considered carefully the implications of
such a plan with respect to the welfare of his own organization.
That's really the best that can be done, and it's all we should
attempt to do, IMHO.

-Steve

--
Steven R. Newcomb, Consultant