Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] An way to avoid id clashes (WAS: Merging proposals u ploaded)

[Kal wrote]
> 1) Your xtmdoc instance is no longer valid if id attributes are
> declared as type ID - so a parser (not a tm processor, just the plain
> old validating SAX/DOM parser that is being used as input to the tm
> processor) will not be happy.

[Peter writes]
> In a similar fashion to your solution I was suggesting replacing any
> id string that clashed (ID or id, all the same to me in this case :)
> with one that didn't and recording the remapping, but only replacing
> those that needed to be replaced. It would still validate with an XML
> parser.

To reduce at least this issue to syntax, it sounds like what you want
is ID/IDREF for the topic map, and CDATA with referential semantics in
the scope of a containing topic map element, a la the original 13250
when the topic map is wrapped in an xtmdoc. Obviously this could be
accomplished in the DTD with the usual ugly techniques....

One nice thing about this is that no data is touched.

I realize this doesn't help with URIs -- but I'd like to make sure that
the "no data is touched" principle applies to URIs, if possible. Is it
possible?

S.

=====
<? "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
    -- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations ?>

http://im.yahoo.com/

Your family still won't know what you do.  At least they'll know where.
The resources, brainpower & breadth of opportunities at Microsoft are
unmatched. The only question is are you ready for that kind of impact?