Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] An way to avoid id clashes (WAS: Merging proposals u ploaded)

My proposed solution added nothing new to the basic syntax and was in this
way simple (elegant and powerful).
It also permitted interchange quite readily because of the above.
Just because it used a topic map to talk about data in another map does not
necessarily entail that simplicity of interchange was not the very thing
enabled by it.
'Meta' isn't necessarily bad.

Kal's solution added to the syntax (and some might say that this is not so
good ;) but is equally as powerful as the solution I proposed for that
particular task of coping with id clashes in packaging multiple topicmaps
under an xtmdoc element. Whether this solution sets up the TM community for
the long haul is an open question (opinions anyone?)

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Hunting [mailto:sam_hunting@yahoo.com]
Sent: 20 October 2000 14:45
To: xtm-wg@egroups.com
Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] An way to avoid id clashes (WAS: Merging proposals
u ploaded)

[Ann Wrightson writes]
> So, (please?) we must continue to work towards a (simple as it can
> be) XTM 1.0 syntax, whilst also looking forwards towards model-
> conformance, layered map architectures, etc etc.

Topic maps provide a constant temptation to "go meta" (in
Sperberg-McQueen's felicitous phrase).

Focussing on interchange helps us avoid this temptation.

Sam

=====
<? "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
    -- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations ?>

Your family still won't know what you do.  At least they'll know where.
The resources, brainpower & breadth of opportunities at Microsoft are
unmatched. The only question is are you ready for that kind of impact?