Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] The Nature of Things...

Hi Matthew, comments below...
----- Original Message -----
From: West, Matthew MR SSI-GREA-UK <matthew.r.west@is.shell.com>
To: <xtm-wg@egroups.com>
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2000 8:39 AM

> Dear Jack,
>
> I do not mean the "framework" I present (mostly other peoples ideas
> collected into one place) to be reductionist. I agree fully with you that
> the way things are built up is of critical importance. Hence the section
> which is about "organisational levels". However, you need to identify the
> parts before you can try to explain how they fit together.

And I did not mean to imply that I was anti-reductionist but rather that
reductionist thinking can carry us only so far.  I agree fully with you that
one needs to identify the parts before trying to explain them.  I am just,
perhaps, amplifying your "organizational levels" section by pointing out
Rosen's work.

> I am also aware of other viewpoints, Armstrong's in particular. However,
in
> general I have found that the approach I have gravitated to is able to
> explain other viewponts, rather as general relativity can explain the
> Newtonian view of gravity.
>
> I am always open to challenge on specific points. I might learn something.

I like to think that my point was not offered as a challenge to anything you
wrote, rather to illuminate some scholarship that I do not think gets
exposed sufficiently.
Cheers
Jack

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
immediately.

eLerts