Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Dynamic Generation and Serving of Topic Maps

* Dave Pawson

| Whats missing from XSLT/XPATH for queries, which produce XML
| results?

* Murray Altheim

| Yes, this was my feeling as well. If XPath and XPointer don't fill
| the bill, then we're in trouble. I'd think "XTMQL" would be simply a
| document showing how to perform common XTM queries using XPath and
| XPointer.

Topic maps and XML have two completely different and unrelated data
models. Using XPath for topic map queries is going to be terribly
awkward and not likely to provide the right kinds of functionality at
all.

Furthermore, XPath does not support updates or deletions, which TMQL
probably should.

| There shouldn't be much need for anything else. If we're talking
| about query languages for databases, we're no longer talking about
| querying topic maps as XML documents, which to me seems waaay out of
| scope for this activity.

To me it is very difficult to understand how anyone can say this.
Some topic maps may be XML documents, but that is an entirely
coincidental and not very interesting fact. I very much doubt that
any serious topic map applications will be based on topic maps as XML
documents, but rather on databases.

Furthermore, to TMQL, the actual form in which the topic map happens
to be stored should not matter at all. To be honest I'm worried to see
anyone at all thinking differently.

--Lars M.

eLerts