Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Dynamic Generation and Serving of Topic Maps

>Lars:
>Topic maps and XML have two completely different and unrelated data
>models. Using XPath for topic map queries is going to be terribly
>awkward and not likely to provide the right kinds of functionality at
>all.

<snip/>

>Furthermore, XPath does not support updates or deletions, which TMQL
>probably should.
>
>Some topic maps may be XML documents, but that is an entirely
>coincidental and not very interesting fact. I very much doubt that
>any serious topic map applications will be based on topic maps as XML
>documents, but rather on databases.

<snip/>

Most unlike Lars to shout so loud.
I'm more than prepared to stand corrected, but two points please
Lars.

1. *X*TM    ?Why the objection to XML?
2. I'd tend to favour your database based TM's, due to size, but
what XML based tools are there that parse from disk?

Am I right in thinking that you envisage a whole suite of tools
specially for topic maps in an XML domain?

I had understood that XTM was on hand to bring TM's out of the
clouds of theory and into the pragmatists world.

Are you of a different mind?

Curious. But very respectful of Lars's history.
  DaveP

eLerts