Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] [XTM-CMS] Is there no data model?

Lars

Can I respond to your email as someone who has recently become involved with
the process as an invited expert to the XTM-CMS subgroup.  Along with
Matthew West (who also work for Shell) we have had a number of meetings with
members of the conceptual group to participate on the production of the
'conceptual model' as part of the XTM effort.

I agree pretty much with the core sentiment of your statement "To me, the
data model seemed absolutely crucial, the interchange syntax merely useful
and no doubt the rest will also be useful. However, as I see it, all else
pales into insignificance compared with the data model.", particularly the
first part of the statement.

I think that for 'conceptual model' you should read 'conceptual data model'
or 'abstract data model'.  Matthew and myself have been involved because of
our background in data modelling and our interest and work in areas such as
data and data model integration.

The abstract data model is currently being refined and produced.  Following
a number of meetings over the last two or three weeks Graham Moore is today
producing a revised set of diagrams and I am planning to spend much of the
weekend working on the accompanying words.  We hope to be circulating the
revised model during the course of next week for review and discussion.

You say "What further worries me is that the community does not seem to
consider this very important. (Ref the TMQL discussion as one example.) In
my opinion the community absolutely MUST make sure that we get an abstract
data model with proper specification of important operations like merging."

I agree.  I think that the people working on the model have refrained from
participating in the discussions on TMQL, merging, etc. because it is more
important to us at this point to complete the model so that we can then have
sensible discussions on such issues.

Chris Angus
Home: +44 (0) 16977 41504
SSI: +44 (0) 207 934 4960