Subject: An occurrence example. (was: Re: [xtm-wg] ANNOUNCE: Update of XTM Repository (new XTM prototype DTD))

[Kal Ahmed:]
> ... what is the meaning of this ?
>
> <topic>
> 	<baseName>techquila.com</baseName>
> 	<occurrences>
> 		<resource>
> 			<scope>
> 				<topicRef xlink:href="#some-topic"/>
> 			</scope>
> 			<topicRef xlink:href="http://www.techquila.com/" referent="isSubject"/>
> 		</resource>
> 	</occurrences>
> </topic>

It means two things:

(1) The subject of this topic is the information found at
    http://www.techquila.com.  (Not what that information describes;
    the information itself, because you said referent="isSubject"
    rather than referent="describesSubject".)  Any other <topic>s that
    have the same subject will be merged with this one.

(2) The information found at http://www.techquila.com is an occurrence
    of the topic, within a scope that apparently, from your example,
    consists of two topic nodes:

    (a) The topic node that corresponds to the <topic> whose address
        is "#some-topic".  Or, if #some-topic is not the address of a
        <topic>, but instead it's the address of something that's not
        a <topic>, then it's the topic node that is called into
        existence by virtue of the fact that you used a <topicRef> to
        point at it, whose subject is whatever the information object
        found at "#some-topic" describes.  (I say "describes", rather
        than "is", because the default value of the -referent-
        attribute of <topicRef> is "describesSubject", and you didn't
        specify a -referent- attribute on the <topicRef> in your
        <scope> element.)

    (b) The topic node that corresponds to the XTM-defined subject,
        "subject descriptor is subject".  (Not the XTM-defined
        subject, "subject descriptor describes subject", because you
        said referent="isSubject", rather than
        referent="describesSubject".)

    I say the scope is "apparently" the two above-described topics
    because we don't know, from your example, whether additional
    topics are present in the scope of the occurrence on account of
    the effect of one or more <mergeMap>s.

-Steve

--
Steven R. Newcomb, Consultant