Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Again: How might we tie more formal semantics to TMs?

I think I already said sometime that I think that Situation Semantics and the
associated Logic of Information Flow can provide a good account of how (x)TM (and
OHCO documents) are capable of being carriers of meaningful infomration. I hope to
have a paper on this next year sometime (though Ontopia may keep me too busy....
;-)

However, that is quite different from designing a formal semantics for
(x)TM-in-use so that they can be used alongside other
artefacts-with-formal-semantics, eg in proving system properties for
high-integrity systems.

So, bearing in mind that a formal semantics is an engineering artefact with an
intended purpose like any other,
- what is the intended purpose of a formal semantics for TM, as discussed in
Alexander's mail?
- ... and what criteria woudl you-all wish to apply to decide whether some
proposed semantics was fit for that purpose?

...and BTW, I'm sure that TMQL should have a well-defined semantics - and that
doing so will clarify TM semantics considerably.

And for another parting thought, since a TM can be regarded as a classifier of
ontologies (in terms of some ontology for ontologies... which I hope is a fixed
point...), then maybe we should just let that domain do our semantics for us....

Ciao