Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] FW: [xtm-mktg] Re: XTM tag line

>   IDEAlliance -  International Digital Enterprise Alliance, Inc.

> In order to meet the deadlines for producing signage and other
> materials for XML 2000, we need to agree on this by Tuesday,
> Nov. 21.

> So, I propose we use "Style Sheets For Knowledge" if no one has any
> objections.

First of all, I'm no marketer, and I've learned that my instincts are
inappropriate in marketing-land.  So, having made that disclaimer...

Eeek!  I object.  This slogan appears to define what topic maps are,
while ignoring at least half of the capabilities and value of topic
maps.  I think it's misleading.  Topic maps are also about information
management (imposition of arbitrary topical structure, infoglut
control, elimination of redundancy, collaborative indexing, making
finding information an interchangeable, licensable resource,
etc. etc.).  The information management angle is at least as
significant, in terms of human productivity enhancement, as the "Style
Sheets for Knowledge" angle, which I think refers to the ability of
topic maps to allow information resources to be hidden in ways that
are highly adapted to the user's context (user knowledge, interests,
delivery platform, etc.).  With topic maps, you get both of these
angles, in full measure.

> If you have other ideas, please post them right away so that the
> group can decide by Tuesday at the latest .

OK, good.  I accept your challenge.  I'm not wedded to any of the
following slogans, but I like all of them better than "Style Sheets
for Knowledge".  These don't purport to define what topic maps are;
they're designed instead to pique curiosity.

* Enabling Subject-based Collaborative Commerce

* Collaborative Corporate Memory, Anyone?

* Making the other 90% of corporate information findable

* The Haystacks Disappear, The Needles Remain

* 7 search hits are interesting, 7,000 are not

* Industrial-strength Findability

* Many languages, One combinable finding resource

* 'way, 'way beyond full text searching

* subject-based power to exploit information assets

* Making irrelevant information disappear.

-Steve

--
Steven R. Newcomb, Consultant
srn@coolheads.com