Subject: [xtm-wg] Advisory poll for taglines

I set up an advisory poll, as Eric wrote.  Sorry - I restarted this poll
several times.  One reason is that we should include "Mapping the Web"
along with "Charting the Web".  Another reason is to add options saying
that none are acceptable, etc., to put that in perspective.

Which of the choices below do you prefer for a TopicMaps.org/XTM
marketing tag-line? Vote for as many as you like. This is a poll to
advise the Marketing Committee.

The GPS of the Web | Knowledge maps for information management

GPS for the Information Universe

Mapping the Web

Charting the Web

Building knowledge

"all of the above are bad"

"some of the above are unacceptable"

Polls are at:
http://www.egroups.com/polls/xtm-wg

Andrius

More information in the letter below, if you haven't gotten it yet.

Andrius Kulikauskas wrote:

> As a member of the Marketing Committee, and the person who brought the
> tagline to our attention, and who proposed the vote... I took the
> initiative to call Paul Conn - the person who brought up our need for a
> tagline - to say that I think this process needs some direction so that
> we get a clear answer.
>
> So we talked, and he agreed that I write this letter to help put things
> in perspective.
>
> When do we need a tagline?  He said it's OK for him if we have it by the
> end of tomorrow = the end of Wednesday, Eastern time.
>
> What's the status now?  There was a poll among several candidate
> taglines, with a tie between two of them:
> -  The GPS of the Web
> -  Mapping the Web
>
> Steve Pepper proposed:
>
>   XTM: The GPS of the Web
>   Knowledge maps for information management
>
> Eric Freese has submitted:
>
> > Per our charter para 3.3.1, I submit this to the participating members of the AG for
> > consideration.
> >
> > As part of this motion I also move that the rule (para 3.3.2) stating a 7 calendar day
> > period for non-face-to-face votes be suspended for consideration of this matter.
> >
> > As caller of this motion, I will tabulate the responses and report back to the list.
> >
> > A yes vote approves suspension of the rule and adoption of the tag line suggested by
> > Steve Pepper.
> > A no vote denies suspension of the rule and thus the adoption of the tag line suggested
> > by Steve Pepper and defers to the results of the Egroups poll.
> >
> > Please respond to the list [ xtm-wg@egroups.com ] or myself [ eric@isogen.com or
> > efreese@sprynet.com ] by 5:00PM EST.
>
> This has precedence over any poll.
> In the event of a "yes" vote, we're done.
> I spoke with Eric, and he's agreed to extend the vote to 2:00PM EST
> tomorrow=Wednesday.  Even with the extension it's not clear if he'll get
> the required number of voters.
>
> I'll add that Paul said he liked Steve's proposal, and it's not too long
> of a tagline.  He also said that when we use taglines with the logo, we
> won't include the "XTM".
>
> Eric and I agreed on the following course.
> I'll put up a new advisory poll.  We'll have four candidate taglines,
> based on the input so far:
>
> 1) The GPS of the Web
> Knowledge maps for information management
> 2) GPS for the Information Universe
> 3) Charting the Web
> 4) Building knowledge
>
> IF YOU CAN'T VOTE BY EGROUPS, please send your vote to Jason Markos,
> jsm@empolis.co.uk, CC it to me, ms@ms.lt, and if you like, to the whole
> group.
>
> The poll will be open-ended, and you can change your answers.  You can
> vote for as many as you like.  (Note: your vote has more impact if you
> vote FOR something, and NOT FOR other things ;) )  Discussion is very
> helpful, but I would think most helpful if it compares the relative
> merits of the candidates.

> [...]

eGroups eLerts