Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] XTM copyright

It is not necessary that a trademark be unique, at least under U.S. law, so
long as the products associated with a trademark are not likely to be
confused. An associate of mine once remarked that he owns an unchallenged
trademark "CREST", which hasn't had any problems from Proctor and Gamble
because they'd be concerned only if it could be confused with their
toothpaste (which is highly unlikely because his is a software product). So
we need not be too concerned about establishing a trademark for XTM. So long
as nobody has established a metadata structure and trademarked it as "XTM",
we're probably safe.

Just for reference, I checked the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
(http://www.uspto.gov/) for "XTM" There are 5 examples, of which only two
are live. One is for a online telecommunications service, and the other is
for a brand of automobile tires. GCA owns several trademarks, and they can
probably advise on filings (it can be done online, costs $325).

Jim Mason

eLerts