Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] association : Type, Subject, Id, Reference

Sorry that I only have a few minutes right now, so only a hasty thought -

I agree with Bernard here that it is desirable to be able to refer to an
association instance.  It seems natural to me to do that by giving an
association an optional id.   Since the association has (a) type, and could
have an id, I think assertions about associations could be handled OK.

Gotta run ...

Tom P

Bernard Vatant wrote -

> But now we want - I think that is Graham's point - to refer to "Earth is a
> Sun's planet" as a statement to be referred to in an historical scope
> around Copernic's work, by opposition to "Earth is the center of Universe",
> and associate a given astronomer to one one those opinions, the following
> questions arise :
>
> Is this statement the same Map element than the association defined above ?
> If this case, how will it be refered to ? It depends on how  we consider
> the above Association Topic ?
>
> 1. as a binar relationship, i.e. the set of all (X,Y) such as "X is a Y's
> planet", making consistent the ID ?
> 2. as the element (Earth, Sun) in this set ?
> 3. as something else, and what ?
> In both cases, how do we identify the subject and refer to it, and how do
> we name it if necessary ?
>
> And in any case, how can I link it to the following "copernician debate" ?
>
> <association id="disagreement">
> <instanceOf>
>       <topicRef xlink:href="#opinion"/>
>     </instanceOf>
>     <member>
>       <roleSpec>
>         <topicRef xlink:href="#disagrees-on"/>
>       <roleSpec>
>       <topicRef xlink:href="#Tycho-Brahe"/>
>     </member>
>     <member>
>       <roleSpec>
>         <topicRef xlink:href="#thesis"/>
>       <roleSpec>
>       <topicRef xlink:href="#heliocentrism"/>
>     </member>
>   </association>
>
> I've escaped the question with "#heliocentrism" but I would like of course
> to link it to the association "Earth is a Sun's planet" ...
>
> Could we have some lightening-authoritative-back-from-Washington opinions ?

eGroups eLerts