Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Proposal for Chris Angus to be Invited Guest to XTM Authoring Group

Sorry for the delay in responding - mail server in Dallas was a victim of
the ice storm.  Here are my opinions on Sam's questions:

> Yes:
(1) it takes an absolute majority to approve an Invited Guest;

Correct - 9 yes votes needed (para 3.6.3) - at least 12 votes must be
received in total [17 * 2/3] (para 3.3.2)

(2) I imagine the 7-day clock starts ticking with Graham's second;

Correct - once it is an official motion

(3) it would probably be best to post votes to the list; I posted a vote in
ordinary mail, once, and confused everyone;

para 3.3.2 states that votes may be made by email, voice/telephone, or
face-to-face.  No other context is mentioned.  The submitter must count
votes submitted by any of these methods.  We are not limited to messages
posted to the list.  The submitter's individual email should also be valid.

(4) it couldn't hurt to check the tally against our parliamentarian's list
of Participating Members.

The list in Annex F of the AG draft of the spec is accurate - 17
participating members named - only their votes can be officially counted.

> A minor point: In Montreal, the AG voted that "Consideration of
> applications for Participating Membership will be deferred until after
> December 2000." (http://www.doctypes.org/xtm/org/minutes20000823.html).
> This is 2000-12-12. Does that matter? If it does, how do we change it?

The comment following the note leads me to believe that the intention was to
limit new membership until after the version 1.0 was released in the
December timeframe.  In that meeting the AG resolved to release Version 1.0
of the specification at the XML 2000 conference.  It could be questioned
whether this was achieved or not.  Based on the actions of the editors, it
is my opinion that the release of the AG draft meets the December target
specified which in turn allows the ability to invite new guests as advisory
members.

eLerts