Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] ?Inference rules in XTM

mgomari@ait.ca wrote:

> Hi,
> I was wondering how to express an inference rule in XTM format.
> I encountered different ways to do that but somehow confused and
> not sure what is the formal and correct way.
>
> Can somebody please address this problem by a simple example.

See chapter 5 in my Extreme Markup 2000 paper
"Topic Maps self-control" you will find at
http://www.egroups.com/files/xtm-wg/Documents/rath0315.PDF

It does not use XTM but ISO syntax but you will get
the idea.

BTW: This supports a proposal of Daniel Rivers-Moore for
association template. All assoc templates, inference rules,
validation constraints and parts of TMQL can be built on the same
"design pattern" approach I present in the above mentioned
paper.

If we can agree on this pattern approach (which is very natural
anyway) we will make the lives for TM software developers much
easier because they do not have to implement four different
algorithms but only one with some variations. Graham Moore,
Steve Pepper and probably others may support this. Comments welcome!

--Holger

--
H. Holger Rath <holger.rath@empolis.com>
empolis Content Management GmbH