Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Suggestion for leaving e-groups

[Michel Biezunski:]
> > Before you do that you should make sure to copy
> > all archives to the new mailing list, because we
> > don't want the archive to be spread out all over
> > the place.

[Robert Barta:]
> For Bernard it would probably be easier the
> other way round:

> First we leave egroups (an idea which I
> personally support), then he has all the time in
> the world to move the contents.

Too bad for Bernard, and too bad for XTM.  The real
horror of e-groups is the necessity of extracting
all of the archives from them, one at a time.  If
Bernard is willing and able to do that extraction,
then he can demonstrate that he has already done
it before the move occurs.  It is just too hard to
do, and the archives are too important, to leave
the move to the promises and good intentions of an
unpaid volunteer.  The completeness and
convenience of those archives is an essential
feature of TopicMaps.Org.

> Otherwise he would need a more sophisticated
> migration process. I could live without a
> consolidated archive for a week.

I hope it only takes a week, but I'm definitely
not willing to bet on it.

Isn't there some kind of software that can be set
up to mimic what a human being would do at a
Windows interface, and that can be used to
automate the extraction of the archives from
e-groups?  If there is, I'd be interested to know
about it.

-Steve

--
Steven R. Newcomb, Consultant