Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Status of Core Deliverables document

> [sam]
> > > I would also like some consideration to be given to versioning
> > > issues for the DTD, so that we can have discussions that include
> the
> > > idea that a change might not be possible for 1.0 but would be
> > > possible and beneficial in 2.0 (for example).
> > >

> [kal]
> > Why put off till later what can be fixed now ?
>
> Because "can be fixed" begs the question!
>
> (1) In fact, consensus on what needs to be "fixed" may be hard to
> achieve for a minor revision, but may be achievable for a major
> revision.

Agreed, but the decision should not be influenced by setting artificial
'bars' for inclusion or exclusion.
There are two decisions:
a) Is it broken and do we have a fix for it
b) Should the fix be included.

My position is that if the answer is yes for (a) then the answer *must* be
yes for (b), and that we must
consider (a) without the confusion of thinking about the (b) question at the
same time.

> (2) A "fix" may have costs to users and vendors that have to be
> assessed.

The longer it takes to make the fix, the higher the cose for the users. The
vendors may have a problem with this, but thats part of the nature of being
on the bleeding edge. Hey, we've already transitioned to XTM, whats a few
little bug fixes between friends ?

> (3) Sometimes one person says "broken" when they mean, "doesn't have a
> function I need." The two statements are not equivalent.

Or they mean "does have a feature which is not necessary and hugely
confusing". Or they mean "breaks compatibility with the Conceptual Model
and/or the mapping to ISO 13250". But all such statements are subjective -
we need to discuss them and come to agreement without one party going into
the discussion with a mindset that is not willing to balance the need for
stability against the need for correctness.

Cheers,

Kal