Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Comments on XTM Spec 1.0

At 11:31 16/01/01 +0000, Daniel Rivers-Moore wrote:
>1) I must respond to. Holger asks (referring to my proposed amendment to the
>content model of <association>) why <association> needs both
><associationSpec> and <instanceOf> subelements.
>
>The answer is simple: "backward compatibility with the 'Core Deliverables'
>document of 4 December", where the <association> element has an <instanceOf>
>subelement.

Are they intended to be the same, semantically speaking, i.e. do
both identify in some way the class of which the association is an
instance?

If an association A1 references a topic T1 (via an <instanceOf>
subelement), and also references an association template A2 (via
an <associationSpec> subelement); is T1 deemed to reify A2?

>2) I do think we need to say something clear about reification. I hope to
>bring to the Paris meeting (or, if things go well, send it out to the list
>beforehand) a second draft of the "Mapping of XTM syntax to the Conceptual
>Model" in which I attempt a clarification of:
>- the meaning of "reification", in the conceptual model and in the syntax
>- the respective meanings of  <topicRef>, <resourceRef> and
><subjectIndicatorRef>
>- the criteria that determine when multiple elements represent the same
>Topic (aka the "merging rules").

I just want to say what an excellent document this mapping specification
is! I hope it is given careful consideration by the AG in Paris and
becomes part of XTM 1.0.

SC34/WG3 (the home of ISO 13250) has proposed a technical report that
would make the conceptual of 13250 explicit and also provide a mapping
between it and the ISO syntax. Having a similar document for XTM would
be the best guarantee of interoperability between 13250 and XTM.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Technology Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Information Association)