Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Comments on XTM Spec 1.0

I'm happy with most of what Kal says here in response to Holger.

Just two points:

1) I must respond to. Holger asks (referring to my proposed amendment to the
content model of <association>) why <association> needs both
<associationSpec> and <instanceOf> subelements.

The answer is simple: "backward compatibility with the 'Core Deliverables'
document of 4 December", where the <association> element has an <instanceOf>
subelement.

Kal is right that I have added the * to the <instanceOf> subelement in the
content model because what this means is that the Topic that is the
Association is an instance of a certain class, and it may be an instance of
many classes.

Having said all that, and in line with my view that there *is no
requirement* for backwards compatibility with the Core Deliverables
document, I would be very happy to drop the <instanceOf> subelement on
<association> and rely on the <topicRef> subelement to point to a <topic>
element that has any relevant <instanceOf> subelements in *its* content.

2) I do think we need to say something clear about reification. I hope to
bring to the Paris meeting (or, if things go well, send it out to the list
beforehand) a second draft of the "Mapping of XTM syntax to the Conceptual
Model" in which I attempt a clarification of:
- the meaning of "reification", in the conceptual model and in the syntax
- the respective meanings of  <topicRef>, <resourceRef> and
<subjectIndicatorRef>
- the criteria that determine when multiple elements represent the same
Topic (aka the "merging rules").

Best regards

Daniel

Daniel