Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Suggested recommendations for Subject Indicators choice

validity".

Bernard

----- Message d'origine -----
De : Jack Park <jackpark@verticalnet.com>
À : <xtm-wg@egroups.com>
Envoyé : lundi 22 janvier 2001 17:34
Objet : Re: [xtm-wg] Suggested recommendations for Subject Indicators
choice

I am most pleased that this topic of discussion came along.  As a brief
response, given that I could not be in Paris to partake of such an
interesting discussion, let me comment that it would seem a reasonable
contribution to the Web in general that XTM somehow become involved in the
creation and maintenance of an archive of public subjects -- a kind of
universal ontology, perhaps.

I tend to believe that concepts, themselves, are not best represented as
points in space.  A dictionary, for example, often has more than one
definition or usage for a given word.  Rather, I suspect that concepts are
akin to basins of attraction such that situation, context, past experience,
and so forth all play a role in the disambiguation of words we use.  Why
mention this in the context of an archive of public subjects?  Perhaps it
is
because I suspect that such an archive will necessarily be a bit more
sophisticated than just URIs of named subjects.  How so? I have no idea.

Jack