Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Reification

Paul Prueitt wrote:

> The defintional phrase:
>
>  "Reification is a process through which a computable/addressable object - a
> resource - is created in a system, as a proxy for a non
> computable/addressable object"
>
> is perfect.

Yes, that seems basically in harmony with what we've discussed within
TopicMaps.Org. The editors are currently following up on our recent
discussions in Paris and hope to add the subject explicitly to our
specification for its next publication. As I mentioned, we'd avoided
it in the past due to the somewhat different concept used in RDF.

> This phrase is consistant with the stratified complexity theory (something
> like Complex Adaptive Systems, but with a few admendments) that I and others
> claim allows the grounding of topic map (or other generic ontology
> representation) to be grounded in a model that is consistant with
> experimental work on human memory and anticipatory systems.
>
> I will discuss this further at the Knowledge Technologies 2001 conference,
> where I hope to establish some formal linkage between basic research of
> process of natural reification and the notion of reification that the
> committee is putting forth.
>
> For me, one of the core issues is the representation of knowledge structures
> without getting too perplexed about the so called generative rules that
> create knowledge or that allows the experience of knowledge.  My group feels
> that the notion of generative rules has been over simplified in the expert
> system literature and that one needs a formative computaitonal process like
> evolutional programming to better model the consequences of human formative
> cognition.

I hope to be able to hear your talk. Sounds right up my alley. I've been
very excited to be working with the Cycorp ontology, and it has raised
for me many epistemological and semiotical issues. A fascinating field,
and one with many mines, both hazardous and enriching.

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details