Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Common Assumptions

I'm glad this type of question is raised.

The very question is : what in a TM carries ontology, and what are the
processes able to verify the alignment of ontologies before merging ? What
can be system-driven and what needs some sort of human agreement ? This is
a complex and largely open issue, and with certainly no one-for-all
solutions.

Agreement on identity of topic subjects leads us back to the debate about
baseName-based vs subjectIndicator-based merging, and the lack of a general
theory of scope and context. I understand Steve P. is working on that last
one at the moment, and will provide us in Austin with some valuable tracks
to explore.
Agreement on identity of [meaning of] associations and roles is a more
tricky but crucial issue, not really addressed so far, and maybe linked
with the other debate on reification, since the identification/merging
process of two associations maybe needs a proper identification/merging
process of the topics that reify them ...

Anyway all that confirms that TM technology development will be of limited
use without coordinated development of public ontologies strongly grounded
in (stable) PSI.

Bernard