Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Common Assumptions

univers immedia wrote:

> I'm glad this type of question is raised.
>
> The very question is : what in a TM carries ontology, and what are the
> processes able to verify the alignment of ontologies before merging ? What
> can be system-driven and what needs some sort of human agreement ? This is
> a complex and largely open issue, and with certainly no one-for-all
> solutions.
>
> Agreement on identity of topic subjects leads us back to the debate about
> baseName-based vs subjectIndicator-based merging, and the lack of a general
> theory of scope and context. [...]
>
> Agreement on identity of [meaning of] associations and roles is a more
> tricky but crucial issue, not really addressed so far, and maybe linked
> with the other debate on reification, since the identification/merging
> process of two associations maybe needs a proper identification/merging
> process of the topics that reify them ...
>
> Anyway all that confirms that TM technology development will be of limited
> use without coordinated development of public ontologies strongly grounded
> in (stable) PSI.

Actually, I wasn't advocating the requirement of public ontologies, but
that we address (in the specification) the issue of semantic agreement
between *all* components in topic maps prior to merging, not just topics
based on subject. As you point out, name-based merging requires that
there be agreement on both name and scope, as well as what the scope
provides semantically. While in the abstract this seems somewhat
straightforward, I think it will be profoundly difficult to implement
programmatically.

For example, to return to ontologies and the like, it would be exceedingly
valuable to map the relations between a common ontology like Cyc and the
US Library of Congress subject headings, but I see no way to perform this
via computer (at this time). The manual (ie., human) process of mapping
over 320,000 subjects to terms in a similarly-sized ontology would be
daunting at best, and would even then only serve to provide the map based
on the context in which the human judged equivalence. This is a vexing
problem that is only *highlighted* in this example, but shows up in every
merge process.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details