Subject: [xtm-wg] SUO: Topic Maps (fwd)

Hi,

The email below is from Chris Angus to the Standard Upper Ontology (SUO)
list.

(See   http://suo.ieee.org/email/threads.html  for the SUO archive.)

Chris's message brings Topic Maps to the attention of the SUO group.

There has also been discussion on the SUO list, especially by
Robert Kent, on the desirability of using several ontologies, to
avoid a more "monolithic onto-structure."

See

      http://suo.ieee.org/email/msg00405.html

See also

     http://suo.ieee.org/email/msg02875.html

where he talks about a "'Classification Metatheory.'"

I mention these things in light of Bryan Thompson's recent email to xtm-wg
on rdf and topic maps, where he says, among other things:

   There has been a debate on this list concerning a single ontology for
   all human knowledge.  Such an ontology is only viable if it supports
   multiple parallel classification systems -- but a topic map can do
   just that.

I think the SUO is still working towards _one_ standard upper ontology,
but there seem to be several strong voices within the group that reflect the
desire for merging, integrating, or using multiple ontologies.

For what it's worth,

Jim