Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] FW: Semantic Web

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Chris Angus wrote:

> I forward this on for anyone who hasn't seen it.  It seems a very topic-less
> (subject-less?) semantic web at present!

Hi Chris,

I wouldn't say that! Both the activity statement and RDFCore WG charter
call out the connection to the Topic Maps work.  Our immediate RDF work
item is bugfix / clarifications to the RDF 1.0 specifications. After
that, there's a world of options to explore...

Excerpts from http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/ and nearby copied below

best wishes,

Dan

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Activity
	[[
	The ISO Topic Map (XTM) community has been finding increasing
	synergy with the RDF data model. We are hopeful that the
	markup language background of the Topic Map community will
	suggest syntax alternatives for graph-oriented data that
	can be considered for incorporation into RDF and that RDF w
	ill be seen to be usable for Topic Map data as well.
	]]

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCoreWGCharter
	[[
	This is the charter for an RDF Core Working Group, managed under the W3C
	Semantic Web Activity. Implementor feedback concerning the RDF Model and
	Syntax
	Recommendation points to the need for a number of fixes, clarifications
	and improvements to the specification of RDF's abstract model and XML
	syntax. There is also
	considerable interest in the exploration of alternative XML
	serialization mechanisms for RDF data. The role of the RDF Core WG is to
	prepare the way for such work
	by stabilising the core RDF specifications. The RDF Core WG is neither
	chartered to develop a new RDF syntax, nor to reformulate the RDF
	model. However, the
	group is expected to re-articulate the RDF model and syntax
	specification in such a way as to better facilitate future work on
	alternative XML encodings for RDF.
	[...]
	3. Relationships and Dependencies

	The ISO Topic Maps community have produced an XML-based Topic Map
	serialization syntax (XTM), and the W3C XP Working Group is already
	chartered to
	produce a similar mechanism. The XP WG Charter lists as a goal the
	creation of a "mechanism for serializing data representing non-syntactic
	data models such as
	object graphs and directed labeled graphs, based on the datatypes of XML
	Schema" [ XP-Data]. The RDF Core WG will need to liaise with the XP and
	XTM communities to ensure that the RDF Core specifications are produced with
	consideration for possible future work on alternate RDF syntaxes.
	]]

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Chris Angus wrote:

> I forward this on for anyone who hasn't seen it.  It seems a very topic-less
> (subject-less?) semantic web at present!
>
> Regards
> Chris Angus
> KALIDO Product Architect
> Tel: +44 16 9774 1504 / +44 20 7934 4960
> chris.angus@btinternet.com / chris.angus@kalido.com
> www.kalido.com

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details