Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] An XTM test suite

I agree with Lars that this a important thing to get done. I also strongly
agree with Steve that the current processing model is not as rigerous as we
need it to be.

I would suggest that the Processing Subgroup (I think it exists formally? -
eric?) would do well to concentrate its efforts in producing the appropriate
formalism.

The reason the current processsing model is 'light' is that is didnt want to
pick a single formalism or representation of that formalism, i.e. groves,
java classes, set theory, etc. What we have now is a very strong set of
guidelines as to the intent of the syntax - we can now build on this to
produce an truly unambiguous model.

So to move on I am proposing that the processing model group builds its
model based on the work that steve had begun and both Kal and I have worked
on - and anyone else who has the time and inclination to contribute to
produce a model of what an internal topic map looks like.

To avoid the problems of implementation specifics or one mechanism over
another I would further suggest that we encode our model using a number of
representations:

1. Grove Definition
	Nodes and Properties

2. Entity Relationship Diagram
	Entities with properties and relationships

3. RDF triples
	subject, propname, object

4. Mathematically formal
	N E Name = {N1, N2, ...} 		(Object Name)
	O E Object = {O1, O2, ... } 		(Object)
	ROW E Env = Name ->(func) Object 	(Naming Function)
	T E Topic = {N1, N2, ...}		(Topic)

This will easily map onto each other for the job that we need to do. And we
will have an unambigous and rigerous model from which to clearly define the
processing model.

cheers

graham

--------------------------
Graham Moore
VP Research & Development
Empolis GmbH
gdm@empolis.co.uk

This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet,
delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
For further information visit:
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details