Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Topic Naming Constraint question

Hi Chris, and thanks for answering my question,

* Chris Angus

| My immediate reaction would be to say that "XML Query Language"
| should be the basename not of these two topics but rather to a topic
| of which these topics are "instanceOf" - both topics are being
| described as "an XML Query Language" not "the XML Query Language".
| This would also allow the question "What XML query languages are
| there?" to be answered.

I am hesitant to create a topic type called "XML Query Language",
since it doesn't really fit my ontology, which uses the topic type
"Standard" for these instead. Creating a subtype of "Standard" for
these two topics only is not the right solution, I feel.

The trouble is that "XML query language" is in this case an entirely
legitimate base name, since it is the expansion of the acronyms. In
exactly the same way the SAX topic has the base names "SAX" and
"Simple API for XML". These base names are automatically created by a
script from <NAME> and <FULLNAME> elements in the XML source.

So this is not really an acceptable solution.

--Lars M.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kWP7PD/pYNCAA/4ihDAA/2n6YlB/TM