Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Topic Naming Constraint question

Lars

You write:

| I am hesitant to create a topic type called "XML Query Language",
| since it doesn't really fit my ontology, which uses the topic type
| "Standard" for these instead. Creating a subtype of "Standard" for
| these two topics only is not the right solution, I feel.

I can see where you are coming from, I guess a part of the problem is
"XML Query Language" would be a type for a topic playing the role of
"subject" (or some such) with respect to the topic that is the "standard" in
an association, which may be further than you wish to go.

| The trouble is that "XML query language" is in this case an entirely
| legitimate base name, since it is the expansion of the acronyms. In
| exactly the same way the SAX topic has the base names "SAX" and
| "Simple API for XML". These base names are automatically created by a
| script from <NAME> and <FULLNAME> elements in the XML source.

If you want to "XML Query Language" as a name then I think you have two
alternatives:

(1) Make the name a variant.

(2) Make the scope the topic itself.

I know that (2) sounds a strange thing to do, but is seems to me the
situation is that the <FULLNAME> is a name that has been chosen with
reference only to the specific topic - there is no obvious wider scope in
which it acts as a discrminator.

Regards
Chris Angus
KALIDO Product Architect
Tel: +44 16 9774 1504 / +44 20 7934 4960
chris.angus@btinternet.com / chris.angus@kalido.com
www.kalido.com

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details