Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: From the chair of TopicMaps.Org

Thank you, Eric,
for such a thoughtful and public letter.

At the Austin meeting we pondered the future of TopicMaps.Org, and our
charter. I would like to see us move towards increasing, rather than
decreasing, openness and inclusion through the Web as to what's going on
within our group.  Too often, it's impossible to know what's going on
from just our letters here.  I didn't attend in Paris, and felt
completely in the dark.  I think your letter here is very constructive
in tone.

My investment in TopicMaps may be the least of all of us, so I write
with that qualification.  My feeling, though, at the Austin meeting was
that, with the exception of Michel and Steve, we seemed quite willing to
allow a different group of people to define the Topic Map Query
Language.  But furthermore, the people participating in TQML seemed to
appreciate that the ability to decide "What questions can be answered
about a Topic Map?" actually can have tremendous influence as to "What
do each of the concepts of Topic Maps actually mean?"  In other words,
the people who define something like SQL have a tremendous practical and
theoretical influence as to "What do each of the concepts of a
relational database actually mean?", which ones are important, and why.
I could understand that our apparent willingness to cede such important
ground would be difficult to stomach for anybody who feels that there
are critically important ideas left to define, or even sees a battle
going on to define these ideas.

I think at some point, however, that there is something pathological
about our current organization that people so regularly "participate" by
voting with their feet.  It's a very crude form of communication
(violence is, too).  Breaking off the channel isn't a way of getting
across any kind of subtle information.  I think it would have been (or
at least should have been) much more productive if Michel and Steve had
stayed through that meeting.  Maybe resignation should take two letters,
in writing, with an interval of two weeks.  Submitting the first letter
could be a way of marching out, but still continue to vote and
participate.  Maybe there is another way to steal some of that thunder.

I also think that we give proper credit to Michel and Steve (as children
might do to parents) without yet fathoming that many of the effects of
their leadership have yet to come.  For example, they were extremely
far-sighted to have us spend an unusually long time on our charter "so
that we would make rapid progress".  We now see that this has proven
correct.  Also, I think they were adamant that users play an equal if
not greater role than vendors.  We're now seeing us drift more and more
to vendors.  Our vendors are playing an extremely helpful and
labor-intensive role, and it makes sense that they would want greater
voting representation, the ability to have several voting members.
Their energy is so central to our movement, however, I think that we
must find new ways to balance that.  Otherwise, we are drifting to
becoming a "more professional" organization.  One way to balance this
would be to find ways to formalize some means of participation by people
who have been participating through our discussion group here, to
distribute authority and be more inclusive.  How might we do that
without becoming less focused and less efficient?

Michel and Steve, I hope you might always advise us, and always be open
to storming back in.

Eric, Thank you.

Andrius

Andrius Kulikauskas
Minciu Sodas
http://www.ms.lt
ms@ms.lt

Eric Freese wrote:

> An open letter to the topic map community:
>
> First of all, this message has been cross-posted, my apologies if you
> receive this message more than once.
>
> TopicMaps.Org has remained pretty much silent on these lists following the
> tumult which has occurred over the past few weeks. On my part, this has been
> due to other pressing matters as well as taking the time to think through an
> appropriate response to some of the statements that have been made. It is my
> hope that cooler heads will prevail in the future.
>
> I believe now is an appropriate time to make a statement.  Any statements
> made here are my own as a participating member but are given from the point
> of view of my role as chair of TopicMaps.Org.
>
> I wish to thank both Steve Newcomb and Michel Biezunski for all the work
> they have done to bring topic maps to fruition. They have both given
> immeasurable amounts of time, finances, brainpower, blood, sweat, and tears
> to make topic maps a reality. ALL of us in the topic map community, and
> perhaps in the greater knowledge management community, owe them a great deal
> and I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge their work. Thank
> you gentlemen!
>
> I think it is fair to say the TopicMaps.Org itself would not exist if it
> were not for the efforts of Steve and Michel. The fact that we were able to
> organize AND publish a spec in less than 12 months is astounding, even in
> the age of the Web. The existence of TopicMaps.Org is an example of Steve
> and Michel's vision and its continued work will hopefully be a lasting
> legacy to their efforts. I believe we can continue to fight a worthy battle
> after their departure from our ranks.
>
> I am very pleased to see that they are continuing their work on the
> processing model which was delivered in draft along with the AG Review draft
> of the XTM specification. Due to time and resource constraints, the
> processing model has not gotten the attention the specification proper
> received, but we are working to remedy that situation and plan to have some
> exciting announcements in the near future.
>
> The email snippets below are from Michel's email message dated March 21,
> 2001 with which Steve later agreed.
>
> > > - At the January Meeting of the XTM Authoring Group, there were
> > >   disagreements coming from the Group and Steve and I were denied
> > >   authority to continue the work as editors, in a normal way. Any
> > >   change that we would ever want to introduce for the sake of
> > >   consistency had to be submitted to the group for vote. Since this
> > >   process was going to delay the work of the group, I have preferred
> > >   resigning as editor in favor of those who were able to perform this
> > >   task with more authority. To me, the most important was to have the
> > >   specification be published as quickly as possible, while the windows
> > >   of opportunity were still open.
>
> The TopicMaps.Org process is stated in the charter. A publication becomes
> [...]

Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EVNB7A/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM