Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

* Nikita Ogievetsky

| May be we should introduce a notion of "Universal ASR" ?

* Daniel Rivers-Moore

| I think this is what Groves aim to provide. It would be of real value to see
| a Grove representation of a topic map, and a formal description of how to
| map from XTM syntax to such a representation.

This is what I want the processing model to be, and, from the
requirments Sam posted, it seems that that is what he thinks as well.
I didn't choose groves as the model formalism because I don't think
they are sufficiently well known. If they were I think they would be
perfect for the purpose.

| Looking at Lars's approach based on XML Infoset, I am extremely
| concerned that it is far too close to the XTM syntax. I don't want
| information objects corresponding to the elements in the XTM
| document. I want the information objects to reflect the meaning of
| those elements, which are much closer to the conceptual model.

Daniel, I am still waiting for an explanation of what you mean by
this.  I would very much like to get it.

| I did submit work in progress towards a UML model of the mapping
| from the Conceptual Model to the syntax.

I looked at it now, and this is precisely what I would expect from
such an effort: something useful for learning purposes, but too vague
to guarantee interoperability.

| [...] I wanted feedback on the approach before continuint)

I think it would be valuable for you to define what it is you want to
achieve with this mapping (and indeed the conceptual model) before
continuing. That would make it far easier to say whether you've
achieved your goal or not.

As it is, all I can say is that I don't think you've achieved the goal
of the PM, but then I guess it would be strange if you did. :-)

| I found it necessary to create some "abstract classes". These are
| classes that are never instantiated in the syntax. Could these be
| the middle layer objects that Lars really wants?

They are similar to what I want, but like the current graph-based
XTMPs I find them too vague. They don't go into sufficient detail.

--Lars M.

Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EVNB7A/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM