Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

Daniel wrote:
> I did submit work in progress towards a UML model of the mapping from the
> Conceptual Model to the syntax. No-one has responded to this, as far as I
am
> aware. In doing this mapping work (which is far from complete - but I
wanted
> feedback on the approach before continuint) I found it necessary to create
> some "abstract classes". These are classes that are never instantiated in
> the syntax. Could these be the middle layer objects that Lars really
wants?
> Comments please - I re-attach this piece of work here.

I think that
following Steve Newcomb's model,
in the end (or in the beginning :-)) there should be the following base
classes:
Node A, Node T, Node S and labeled arcs.
In Lars view they are probably pure abstract classes in some particular
Implementation Model (ASR),
while in my view they are actual building blocks in some virtual "academic
excersise" (PM).
:-)

We all mean different things when referring to PM (and Data Model)
And we all want different things, that's why we can not agree.

Here is what I mean by PM:
It is a low level graph consisting from A,T and S nodes and labeled arcs.

Actual implementations don't have to go all the way.
I believe that different software systems may (and should) vary in the
detail degree.
How they vary we will learn only latter.
That is why I think that defining Universal ASR is very important now.

--Nikita.

Nikita Ogievetsky               Cogitech Inc
XML/XSLT/XLink/TopicMaps   Consultant
nogievet@cogx.com   --   (917) 406-8734
http://www.cogx.com     Cogito Ergo XML

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
"Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KVNB7A/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM