Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

* W. Eliot Kimber

| In particular, anywhere that you would normally have a dictionary (a
| mapping of keys to values), you must represent that in a grove as a
| named node list whose members are "artificial" nodes that represent
| each item in the mapping.

I don't think we would have that anywhere in the model, however.

Can you think of more examples of such problems?

| While I don't think it would be the end of the world if a property
| set was chosen as the definitional mechanism, I think it would be a
| seriously suboptimal choice. I would, for example, much prefer an
| EXPRESS model over a grove.

The main problem I have with that is that the only decent EXPRESS
modelling tool I know costs more than a thousand dollars. Maybe
EuroSTEP has released their tool now, in which case we'll be better
off, but still...

| Note, however, that the actual data elements accessed through this
| API--the occurrences of topics, would still be grove nodes, just as
| they are in HyTime.

I don't think they would have to be. Resources should IMHO just be
represented as URIs, that is, strings. In any case, the prose could
override undesirable features of groves.

(Sorry to keep snipping and ignoring so much of what you write, but I
am in extreme haste here and must stick to PM issues very strictly.)

--Lars M.

Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EVNB7A/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM