Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * W. Eliot Kimber
> |
> | In particular, anywhere that you would normally have a dictionary (a
> | mapping of keys to values), you must represent that in a grove as a
> | named node list whose members are "artificial" nodes that represent
> | each item in the mapping.
>
> I don't think we would have that anywhere in the model, however.
> Can you think of more examples of such problems?

There are a zillion different name spaces in topic map (topics by base
name, characteristics by scope, etc.). Each of these would be naturally
modeled as some sort of dictionary or index in the processing model (not
in the conceptual model.

But given Lars' other comments, I think that we are not all in agreement
about what the processing model is.

Let me be clear: the processing model is the data model of what an API
for operating on topic maps exposes. No more no less. Therefore it will
by necessity have things like dictionaries because most of the
operations on topic maps will be to LOOK THINGS UP.

I have no idea what Lars thinks a processing model is, but it clearly
isn't what I think it is.

> | Note, however, that the actual data elements accessed through this
> | API--the occurrences of topics, would still be grove nodes, just as
> | they are in HyTime.
>
> I don't think they would have to be. Resources should IMHO just be
> represented as URIs, that is, strings. In any case, the prose could
> override undesirable features of groves.

This is fuzzy thinking. What do you get when you dereference the URI? If
you want to remain sane and have interchange you get grove nodes. That's
why we invented groves, so you could talk meaningfully about what you
get when you resolve an address. The Web punts on this issue and chaos
results, with every MIME type providing a different way to access its
content.

13250 is an application of HyTime and therefore explicitly addresses
groves.

Cheers,

E.

W. Eliot Kimber | Lead Brain

1016 La Posada Dr. | Suite 240 | Austin TX  78752
    T 512.656.4139 |  F 512.419.1860 | eliot@isogen.com

w w w . d a t a c h a n n e l . c o m

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
"Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KVNB7A/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM