Subject: [xtm-wg] Graph again ... (and BTW, PSI again)

Murray

I just wanted to translate the feeling of the mathematicians, which are not
completely mine, because I'm an uncomplete mathematician ... I am on the
challenging task of bridging communities, remind you.
My bridge to them was indeed that XTM syntax is what one can find the most
simple as far as syntax is concerned, and since I could understand it and
find it quite simple - as well as Steve and Michel's model for that matter -
*they* could understand it.
I've followed and quite understood I think the reason for every bit of this
syntax and agree with you on the feeling it's easy to use. And I'd gladly
share the coffee before attacking any piece of RDF, but let me the entire
pot, two or three cups will not do :)

I agree a Topic Map is not "simply" a graph. But it's maybe very well
represented as a "colored graph" or "labeled" graph. Which means the
different kinds of nodes can be characterised by their "color" or "label" or
"flavor" whatever you like to call them, like a-node and t-node and s-node
... and certainly other need to be introduced, so that we do not have graph
inconsistencies like a node attached to a single arc, like in first analysis
<roleSpec> appears to be, if you don't create a proper m-node. Things like
that - more in the announced document.

Not in a corner on my mind the least intention to shed blood over the DTD.
It should definitely be graph-representable as it is, like I think every
possible DTD. Simply my hunch the graph will be more complicated that if it
has been thought to begin with. That is : optimize and make consistent a
graph structure out of the very core TM concepts, and then write the DTD and
syntax out of it. Since we've made the road the other way round, forget
about what-we-should-have-done.

Concerning the "magic" algorithms. Mathematics are open source. Every bit of
it. Is not that great ? Three centuries of work to get the Fermat's theorem
demonstration, and not even a single license to use it. Well but ... I
suppose implementations of those algorithms are not indeed open source, but
I really don't know much about that. What I understand of what is
implemented in Mondeca - which is very little, because I am not a developer
at all - is that it was a huge and still ongoing work putting these
algorithms into a proper effective "graph manager".

Anyway. I feel now that something has to get out of all that, but I'll be
off that forum now till Saturday if I want to have my paper on PSI ready for
Montreal submission. And BTW, the question I asked four days ago about PSI
for PSI seems to have been swept away by the flow of messages about "the
graph". Repeat : How do I do when I publish a PSI to declare it's intended
to be one ?
(see propositions in my previous message about it)

Cheers

Bernard