Subject: UML for PM Was Re: [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

[eliot]

> WE'VE ALREADY GONE THROUGHT THE $#%^#
> EXERCISE OF USING UML TO DEFINE BOTH A CONCEPTUAL AND PROCESSING
> MODEL OF TOPIC MAPS. THERE CAN BE NO QUESTION ABOUT THE ABILITY TO DO
> IT BECAUSE WE ALREADY DID IT A YEAR AGO.

(1) Eliot, you use a teletype machine to do your mail?

(2) There's a history here (where is there not?). For whatever reason,
this "exercise" was evolved away from during the work of the conceptual
modelling subgroup -- when you were no longer participating in it.
Unfortunately, for those of us (me included) who didn't track that work
closely, the "existence proof" is precisely what is missing.

(3) I don't recall where the work was stored, so until I can look at
it, well, I have to ignore it...

(4) Lots of the UML stuff was posted as graphics, not as UMI. This
frustrated some of us, because we wanted to load it into UML tools to
play with it. If you still have this work, can it be reposted as UMI?

As for continued "misrepresentation" of UML, as you know, my experience
with UML, well, zealots -- and not in the XTM group, not that there are
any zealots here... -- has been so ugly and horrific that I regard the
technology with skepticism. Sorry about that, but that's been my
experience. Please realize that SHOUTING only reinforces the impression
of zealotry, and I  don't think that's what you want to be doing, eh?

S.

=====
<!-- "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
     - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
"Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KVNB7A/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM