Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Binding Topics and Topic Characteristics to Time

Jan Algermissen wrote:

> I came across the question about dates and time intervals too recently and
> I have a quite simple solution in mind. ....
> To avoid having to create topics for every date or time interval,
> PSIs could be used instead. If there was a well-defined syntax for
> generic date and time interval PSIs, topic map authors could simply
> use <subjectIndicatorRef> to refer to dates and time
> intervals:
> xlink:href="http://www.topicmaps.org/psi-time-interval-01-01-1703-01-01-1913"/>

Actually, I started off with something like this, but then I saw a more
logistical problems, that some-one has to maintain PSI sets for

  - countries (why not cities, regions, continents, planets BTW?)
  - languages (why not dialects, language groups BTW?)
  - time (at which granularity?)
       "5 nanoseconds after the Big Bang the particles...."
  - coordinates (which system?, granularity)
  - people (living or dead)
  - ????

For me this would sound more like calling for a urn name-space than a
PSI.
This would make it possible to have a private/experimental name space.
For
the time being my applications here will certainly not read the language
PSI document but create these PSI generically. What syntax you have in
*your* name space is completely up to the implementation. Especially
with
the abundance of time formats something I would appreciate.

This way the TM paradigm would not impose a specific "standard" and
could be
leaner without automatically creating a legacy burden by administrating
these
name spaces.

At a merge, there might be TM-intrinsic rules, such as TNC (or
customized
TNC), but also name space merging rule supported by the application. For
instance,
when talking about businesses the ABN (australian business number) could
be
mapped to some international business number scheme, you name it.

Another reason for such an approach is that a TM-based system can then
easily
share a urn name space with a non TM-based system.

Recently posted on the SOAP list:

[1] http://www.normos.org/ietf/draft/draft-ietf-urn-rfc2611bis-01.txt
[2] http://www.ics.uci.edu/IRUS/twist/twist99/presentations/masinter/

my $AUD = 0.02;

\rho

Find software faster. Search more than 20,000
software solutions on KnowledgeStorm. Register
now and get started.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ee3V2C/RNSCAA/2h4EAA/2n6YlB/TM