Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] FYI: Buglets on www.topicmaps.org

At 15:59 03/03/01 -0800, Murray Altheim wrote:
>Robert Barta wrote:
> > 2) In
> >
> >       <http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/#elt-baseName>http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/#elt-baseName
> >
> >     there is an example referring to #en only although
> >
> >       <http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/language.xtm#en>http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/language.xtm#en
> >
> >     is probably intended. There is one more instances with #da,
> >     but maybe also others.
>
>Yes, you are correct regarding this error. The full PSI should be
>used in this case (and IMO, this type of confusion is something one
>has to watch carefully for). The editors of the XTM 1.0 specification
>are on this mailing list, and I'm assuming they will fix this problem.
>I'll leave these types of fixes to the document editors rather than
>tread on their turf.

This is *NOT* an error (although it obviously could have been
clearer).

PSIs can be referenced either directly or indirectly, and the
spec gives examples of both usages:

1. Direct reference
http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/index.html#ex-association

Here, the third example shows the use of the PSIs that define a
"class-instance" association, and the roles "class" and "instance".
The URL of the published subject indicator is given directly in
the markup for the association element that establishes the
relationship between the topics "hamlet" and "play".

2. Indirect reference
http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/index.html#ex-variant

Here, the intention is to use the published subject "suitability
for sorting" as a parameter for a variant of the base name
"William Shakespeare".

Instead of providing the URL for that PSI *directly*, there is a
reference to a *local topic* with the ID "sort". This topic, in
turn, references the published subject in core.xtm.

Both methods are valid. The advantage of the first is that the
intention is immediately obvious simply from looking at the
syntax of the element in question. The advantage of the second
is that it can be significantly less verbose.

The example that Robert refers to, at
http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/index.html#ex-baseName

    assumes the existence of topics with the IDs "en" and
    "da" that reify the subjects "English" and "Danish"
    respectively

-- as is stated explicitly. Since these topics are not included
in the example, we cannot know whether they establish their subject
identity via http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/language.xtm or by
some other means.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Technology Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)

Find software faster. Search more than 20,000
software solutions on KnowledgeStorm. Register
now and get started.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ee3V2C/RNSCAA/2h4EAA/2n6YlB/TM