Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] A modest motion for approval and vote

I've been hesitating to vote, because while I applaud Jack's proposal, I too
have a dislike of the term "Emeritus". Steve Newcomb has been describing
himself as "founding editor". To me that is a much better term, and
reflective of the true situation.

I'd therefore like to propose an amendment, namely "Jack's motion with the
word 'Founding' substituted for 'Emeritus'", and put down my 'yes' vote
based on this amendment.

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: Mason, James David (MXM) [mailto:mxm@y12.doe.gov]
Sent: 12 March 2001 17:55
To: xtm-wg@yahoogroups.com

Since I'm not a voting member of the AG, I can't vote for Jack's motion
(though I would if I could).

However, I'd like to suggest that rather than "Emeritus" you say something
like "Founding". I come from an academic background, and to me "Emeritus"
has somewhat the sense of "X is retired and over the hill, but we'll give
him a nice title to recognize that once upon a time he did a useful job."
Certainly the etymology of the term includes "because of merit", and the
people in question do indeed still have merit, but I'd hate to think that
their merit is just for past deeds.

Jim Mason
(son of a Professor Emeritus)

Find software faster. Search more than 20,000
software solutions on KnowledgeStorm. Register
now and get started.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ee3V2C/RNSCAA/2h4EAA/2n6YlB/TM