Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Conceptual Model

Sam

We discussed this in the XTM Authoring Group meeting in Paris. What
happened is that during the Washington DC XML 2000 Conference, Jim
Mason, chair of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34 proposed that the XTM Conceptual Model
become the basis for a conceptual model for ISO Topic Navigation Maps.
This is consistent with our original intent, that we would create a
conceptual model that formalised the implicit model in ISO 13250, and
then see how it needed to be adapted to become a basis for XTM. Having
done this, Jim proposed that the ISO group take our Conceptual Model and
either adopt it unchanged, or amend it to the minimum degree necessary,
and adopt it as a Technical Report as being the conceptual model for ISO
Topic Maps.

This was discussed and approved as a New Work Item proposal at the
meeting of the ISO Working Group in Dallas. Steve Newcomb, Stevwe
Pepper, Jim Mason, Holger Rath, Ann Wrightson and others were present at
that meeting, and my understanding is that the proposal was approved
unanimously. I was asked if I would be editor of the ISO Technical
Report, and accepted subject to being able to be doubled by another.
Steve Pepper offered to join me in this role.

Since that time, no further work has been done on the model. What will
be needed is something analagous to what we must do in TopicMaps.org
also - namely, a formal mapping from the conceptual model to the syntax.
If we find we can successfully map the current conceptual model *both*
to the XTM syntax, *and* to the ISO syntax, we will have a powerful
unification of the two syntaxes. We would then have to validate Nikita's
ISO-to-XTM conversion XSLT stylesheet against the Conceptual Model to
syntax mappings, to make sure the same structures get mapped to the same
structures when using the stylesheet as when doing the transforms via
the conceptual model.

Best regards

Daniel