Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A modest motion for approval and vote

[Steve Pepper <pepper@ontopia.net> wrote:]

> At 18:20 11/03/01 -0500, Jack Park wrote:
> >Motion:
> >Return the names of the original editors of the XTM documents to the
> front
> >page to be displayed along with the current editors. Do so for all
> web and
> >print publications.
>
> Life is too short to vote anything but 'yes' on this motion,
> even though I would have liked to find a more appropriate way
> of honouring Steve and Michel.
>
> Some of you youngsters lurking out there may not know this, so
> pay close attention...
>
> - Without Steve Newcomb and Michel Biezunski, there would be no
> topic maps.
>
> I repeat: no topic maps. The two of them invented the paradigm
> almost single-handedly and nurtured it for nearly a decade.
> Today, their vision is set to revolutionize the way we manage
> information and knowledge. That is an incredible achievement
> and nothing will ever diminish its value. We should recognize
> that contribution and stand in awe of it.
>
> Steve and Michel may sometimes do things that surprise us,
> such as resigning from XTM. (Actually, neither of them are
> speaking to me at the moment, which is a new and painful
> experience for someone who insists on considering them as
> friends.) But we have to remember that Steve's a Newcomb, and
> Michel's French ... which is to say that both are men of great
> passion, in addition to having total intellectual honesty AND
> the courage of their convictions to boot.
>
> (This is not the place to dwell on their more human aspects,
> but be assured that they do have some.)
>
> I hope they will one day realize that no-one wants to take
> away their baby; it's the baby that wants to be allowed to
> grow up. In the meantime we should all bear in mind that,
> without them, we wouldn't even *be* here as part of a movement
> whose importance puts our bickering in a rather comical light,
> to say the least.
>
> I would like to propose that TM.Org formally bestow the title
> of "Inventors of Topic Mapping" on the pair of them.
>
> Steve
>
> P.S. Steve, Michel! Come back to XTM! You are sorely missed.
> There is a big, gaping hole where your vision ought to be...

Steve --

Well put, especially the P.S.

Except for the part about being human. We're technical, eh? Heh heh heh
heh heh ...

S.

P.S. I am forwarding this to SRN and MB in case they are not even
lurking anymore.

=====
<!-- "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
     - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Find software faster. Search more than 20,000
software solutions on KnowledgeStorm. Register
now and get started.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ee3V2C/RNSCAA/2h4EAA/2n6YlB/TM