Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] ANN: Topic Map about Topic Map activities

Jack Park wrote:

> From: Robert Barta <rho@bigpond.net.au>
> <snippage>
> > This should be _one_ line
> >
> > http://topicmaps.bond.edu.au/tm/topic.mc/m-xtm%23t-topic-maps
> >
> Which gets, at least for me, the following screen:
> System error
>
> while serving topicmaps.bond.edu.au /tm/topic.mc/m-xtm
> (referer=http://topicmaps.bond.edu.au/tm/topic.mc/m-xtm, agent=Mozilla/4.0
> (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows NT; DigExt))

I think, I have a theory:

    Thank you, Bill Gates, for making our lives so much easier.

Obviously the NT version of MSIE 5.x you run tries to be more clever
than it actually is. It takes the %23 which is part of the URL, thinks
it must be a human input error, should be '#' and 'corrects it. And then
the browser does not send the whole URL to the server but only

  http://topicmaps.bond.edu.au/tm/topic.mc/m-xtm

Interestingly enough, the Mac version of MSIE behaves correctly (OK,
it was not written by MS) in this respect. No problems also with
Netscape,
Opera, Lynx, w3m, Mozilla, amaya, arena...

And: I have seen this working with MSIE versions on Win2000.

> error while executing /topicmaps/tm/topic.mc:
> Invalid topic path /m-xtm

Yes, this is no valid path. I will think about another
oh-oh-you-use-MSIE
workaround.

   Thank you, Bi..

Oh, I mentioned this already.